I didn’t want to write about Nadiya Hussain’s Back-to-Front Cheesecake until I had tried the recipe myself. Nadiya made it herself on her latest BBC TV show Nadiya’s Family Favourites, with this recipe showing up on Episode 2 — “Family Get Togethers“.
And, while it looked easy and delicious, you never really know how simple or good it is until you try it. (Plus it really is upside down and not back-to-front but, hey, semantics).
But, after making Nadiya Hussain’s Back-to-Front Cheesecake twice myself, I am here to say “Make it. Make it. Make it.” It really is that good.
How to make Nadiya Hussain’s Back-to-Front Cheesecake
The ingredients you will need:
Ingredients for the cheesecake
900g/2lb full-fat cream cheese
200g/7oz caster sugar
150ml/5fl oz soured cream
3 tbsp plain flour
3 free-range eggs
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
Ingredients for the caramel sauce
170g/6oz set honey
300ml/10fl oz double cream
Ingredients for the crumble
75g/2½oz unsalted butter
30g/1oz demerara sugar
50g/1¾oz dark chocolate chips or chunks
50g/1¾oz toasted and chopped hazelnuts
- Put the cream cheese into a large bowl, add the caster sugar and the sour cream. Add the plain flour, and mix the mixture together.
- Beat three eggs, then add them to the mixture and mix. (Make sure your eggs are medium size, as large eggs may make the mixture too runny and, therefore, more difficult to cook).
- Add the vanilla bean paste. (I couldn’t find vanilla bean paste here in Austria, so I just added two teaspoons of vanilla flavoring, which still made a delicious cheesecake).
- Pour the mixture into a baking tin, and press into place making sure the top is level.
- Put the cheesecake mixture into the oven at 160C for one hour and bake.
- Once the hour hits, turn the oven off but leave the cheesecake in there. It needs to stay in the oven until it is completely cool which, for me, took just over an hour with the door slightly ajar.
- Cover the cheesecake with a large upturned bowl, and place it in the fridge and leave it overnight.
- Before you serve the cheesecake, you will need to make the caramel sauce. This can be done the following day, right before you serve it.
- To make the salted caramel sauce, put the butter into a saucepan over a low heat and add the honey.
- Cook both until the mixture turns a light brown, turn off the heat and add the double cream.
- Add a large pinch of rock salt to the mixture and stir everything together carefully until it looks just like the caramel sauce you normally eat.
- Leave the caramel to cool, while you prepare the base of the cheesecake.
- Put the digestive biscuits into a bag. (Nadia uses a ziplock bag, but I just used a plastic bag folded over at the end which worked just as well).
- Smash the biscuits with a large rolling pin, but make sure you don’t smash them so much that they just end up being almost like a powder as that would be too fine.
- Put the chunky biscuit crumbs into a large bowl and add the melted honey and butter mixture. Stir everything together.
- Add the demerera sugar, the chocolate chunks, and the hazlenuts and mix it all together again.
- Take the cold cheesecake out of the refrigerator and pour the caramel sauce over the top of it. Spread it out until the entire top is coated, not worrying if it runs down the sides of the cheesecake
- Spoon the digestive crumb mix over the top of the caramel.
- Serve the cheesecake while still chilled.
Now, I made Nadiya’s Back-to-Front Cheesecake twice. Once with the chocolate chunks and once without, simply because I didn’t have any in my cupboard.
While I loved the cheesecake with the chocolate chunks, it honestly tasted just as nice without them so, if you do not like chocolate or if you forget to buy some, the caramel makes this cheesecake just as delicious.
Now watch the video below to see how Nadiya makes her Back-to-Front Cheesecake recipe. It honestly couldn’t be much more simple, it looks lovely when you put the whole cheesecake on the table in front of patiently waiting guests, and it really is a recipe that is hard to mess up.
- Zutomayo’s ACA-Ne kills it with ‘Can’t Be Right’ live on The First Take — and we still don’t know who she is - February 24, 2021
- Listen to Fidlar’s ‘Flake’ from Superman & Lois, Season 1, Episode 1, “Pilot” - February 24, 2021
- Dua Lipa has the sexiest voice when she speaks — deep, dusky and gravely on her “Mwah or Nah” video - February 24, 2021