How to make Nadiya’s Rhubarb and Custard ice cream sandwiches — yum!
British cook Nadiya‘s new TV show Nadiya’s British Food Adventure, has had some pretty innovative recipes featured on it lately showcasing some typical British ingredients, including this one. Nadiya’s Rhubarb and Custard Ice Cream sandwiches. Yum!
They are easy to make and, if you love rhubarb you will love this recipe, plus those ice cream sandwiches look really pretty when served. And custardy biscuits? Well those just made my week.
How to make Nadiya’s Rhubard and Custard Ice Cream sandwiches? Here you go — and by the way, this recipe only makes 4 ice cream sandwiches, so I would double it up most of the time and make 8 in total.
After all, remember, you can wrap the completed ice cream sandwiches in cellophane and then freeze them to eat at a later time:
40g/1½oz caster sugar
5-10 drops of rhubarb essence
200g/7oz sweetened condensed milk
10fl oz double cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp liquid glucose
75g/2½oz caster sugar
1 medium free-range egg
½ tsp almond extract
100g/3½oz plain flour
75g/2½oz custard powder
Making Nadiya’s Rhubarb and Custard Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Chop the rhubarb into small pieces.
- Put the rhubarb, lime juice and 1 1/2 oz of caster sugar into a small saucepan and cook until soft and pureed.
- Add the drops of rhubarb essence.
- Pour the double cream and condensed milk into a glass bowl. Add the vanilla extract and the liquid glucose.
- Whip it until peaks start to appear in the mixture.
- Put the now-whipped cream and condensed milk mixture into a freezer-safe container and add the liquid rhubarb. You can dig small holes in the milk mixture and spoon some of the rhubarb in so it is like a lovely little surprise you find as you eat it.
- ‘Ripple’ the mixture with the back of a spoon (see video).
- Place the mixture into your refrigerator and freeze.
- For the biscuits — put butter and caster sugar into a bowl and mix together. Whisk an egg, add the almond extract and then add it to the mixture and fold in. Add the flour and the custard powder and mix everything together well, making sure there are no lumps of powdery custard left behind. Make into a dough.
- Chill the dough for an hour.
- Cut the biscuit dough into small biscuits (cookies) and place on a baking tray. Prick the top of the biscuits with a fork so they do not rise. Cook for around 20 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Cool the biscuits and then put the ice cream on the top of one biscuit, and add a second biscuit as a ‘lid’. Continue until all the biscuits and ice cream have been used.
And there you go. There are your Rhubarb and Custard Ice Cream Sandwiches ready to be savored.
I am a Brit-American journalist, former radio DJ at 97X WOXY, and Founder/CEO of Leo Sigh. I’m also obsessed with music, anime, manga, and K-dramas. Help!